Taking The Garbage OUT

Monday, November 17, 2008 Posted In , , , , Edit This 0 Comments »
I had a very strange conversation with a visitor to our home the other day. I hope I can convey how comical it was...

K: I noticed that you said "rubbish" earlier. What does that mean?
Moi: It means "rubbish".
K: Yes, but does it mean something else?
Moi: ?
MM: She says "rubbish" like we say, "trash".
K: Yes, I know that but what else does it
mean?
Moi: It means "rubbish".
K: But, what is the actual word that you use for trash? Like, do you ever say "garbage"?
Moi: We say "rubbish".
K: But what is the word in the dictionary for trash? Do you call it "GARBAGE?"
Moi: Nope. "Rubbish".

By this time everyone is repeating to K what I am saying "...rubbish, it's rubbish...instead of trash, they SAY RUBBISH!"

K: Well, do you EVER say "garbage"?
Moi: No, We... Say... "Rubbish". (I know, patience of a saint.)

K: So, is "garbage" even IN your dictionary?

Moi: NO! WE DON'T HAVE THE WORD "GARBAGE" IN DICTIONARIES IN NEW ZEALAND BECAUSE WE VOTED IT OUT AND REPLACED IT WITH... "SMELLY STUFF THAT YOU THROW IN THE RUBBISH."

Nope, that's what I WISH I said. This is what I actually said...

"Yes."

0 brilliant observations: