Gravy Train

Saturday, November 29, 2008 Posted In , , , , , , , , Edit This 1 Comment »
So I cooked meatloaf for my Thanksgiving Dinner and roast beef for all the people who could actually chew. I was slightly panicked about the whole thing because it all rested on me and you know... the pressure to make it all come together fabulously was quite intense.
So everyone came over and dinner was late because the roast took three hours longer than the recipe said it should. But the meatloaf was already cold because it only took one hour to cook. And one of my guests is a chef so yep, more pressure. She stood next to me and watched me stir my lumpy gravy then reached over to turn the gas down (or up?), thought better of it and pretended she was just scratching her wrist, then hovered nervously watching me continue to stir the gravy! After five more minutes of her scrutiny I ran out to find reinforcements... "S! I need you to come and get rid of the gravy police PLEASE!"
S took her aside and asked her all sorts of inane questions desperately trying to keep her out of the kitchen but after a few minutes, she was back on duty at my side. Finally I handed her a spoon and said, "You're the expert. What else does this gravy need?" She took a sip and then said, "Salt and pepper is all", then walked out. No citation.
I was sure I was going to get a fine but didn't even get a warning. ("If I see you do this again I WILL give you a ticket!")

Oh no! I'm turning into one of those boring people who blog about gravy! Forget I mentioned it... just scroll down...


down...



down...



down...




So we had a lovely time with the family and when everyone had left, I went to get a second helping of the sad little meatloaf and spied a huge pile of roast beef sitting forlorn on the counter, and NO meatloaf! They ate my "dentist approved" food!


What is the world coming to?




1 brilliant observations:

Cheryl said...

You are such a great writer. I've never had Roast Beef or Meatloaf for Thanksgiving. I can't believe it was the latter that got eaten up! You'll have to pass on your recipe.