Ask Me!

Wednesday, November 05, 2008 Posted In , , , , , Edit This 1 Comment »
Today whilst at the gas station, a man approached MM and asked for spare change because he could not afford to buy gas. MM walked over and proceeded to pump gas into his truck. The guy thanked him, "Bless you!" then left. This is not the first time this has happened. It seems that every other time we go out, we are approached by someone wanting something. MM is approached by guys with empty gas tanks and I get Mothers From the Ukraine Who Can't Speak English Holding Crying Babies.

Seriously, I wonder why they always target us? Do we have a sign on our foreheads that only needy people can see? What does it say? "I will pay for your stuff." or, "Free money...apply here."?

I'm only saying this because the first three or four times we gave out food/money/gas I was thinking, "How do we know they aren't going to drive straight to a bar and get legless, then smash into some poor chap on the freeway?" Should we discontinue our almsgiving until we know that the gift will not be abused?


The Lord said... And also, ye yourselves will succor those that stand in need of your succor; ye will administer of your substance unto him that standeth in need; and ye will not suffer that the beggar putteth up his petition to you in vain, and turn him out to perish. (Mosiah 4:16)

He does not mention that we should first ensure that the receiver use our alms wisely. Only that we give them. I consider it a blessing to have enough to share (usually) which is a good thing, because we have these signs on our foreheads and I think they're permanent...



1 brilliant observations:

Cheryl said...

That happened to me a lot there too. In fact during 1 time of pumping gas, 2 people asked. With the second person, they were 4 punk kids and I said, "No." She was so shocked, she started yelling obsenities at me. It just added to my stack of "Why am I living here again?" I was giving gas to strangers and could barely afford to feed my children.