A Kiwi Christmas

Tuesday, December 16, 2008 Posted In , , , , , , , , Edit This 2 Comments »
Even though I've been living in the US for six years, it still feels weird to have Christmas in winter. Right now I am hanging up wet coats and shaking droplets out of umbrellas when I should be throwing a towel over my tanned shoulder and heading for a sandy white beach in New Zealand. Here is a picture, just to make you jealous... and yes, this is the actual beach I lived close to and yes, it is gorgeous and beautiful and yes, I took it completely for granted and YES, now I am COMPLETELY HOMESICK!


Last night I checked the weather forecast (for here, not there) and was interested to read that we had a high chance of snow today which, as you know, is a rare occurrence for this part of Southern California. So I thought, "If I can't have pure sunshine at Christmas, at least I can have a bit of flaky white happiness." But nooooo... the Universe did not concur. No snow for me. (self-pitying shrug)


I know what you're thinking... "Can she BE any luckier! Southern California! I'd give my eldest child to be there right now!" or thoughts to that effect. Yeah, I'm spoilt, hard to please, demanding, yada, yada... yawn.

OK... I've thought about it and you're right... I have alot to be thankful for. My MIL is dealing with black ice and slush and freezing weather and I'm sitting here in my 70 degree home complaining. Someone whack me over the head with a frozen turkey. Or ham. Or those big beefy steaks, or, oooh, I know, those little chicken wings... with honey mustard sauce.

Thank you. I needed that.

2 brilliant observations:

Cheryl said...

I think I would be missing that beach no matter where I lived. So I feel for you. (Have you checked out my most recent picture.-it might make you feel better, or worse?!)

Anonymous said...

Wow. Amazing how perspective can differ. So, none of the traditional Christmas carols make any sense where you're from. ;-) That sure is a gorgeous beach.... wish I were there now, too.