Give Books For Christmas!

Wednesday, December 03, 2008 Posted In , , , , , , , , , , Edit This 3 Comments »
I just bought twelve books for $23. I think that's pretty good considering one or two of them were brand new. I love historical fiction so I got some from that genre. If you want to borrow one, you are welcome. Here's the list...

The Constant Princess by Philippa Gregory - This author can be a bit racy but I can't abide eroticism in any form so it will meet with a gruesome end if it goes in that direction.

The Hidden Diary of Marie Antoinette by Carolly Erickson - Not great reviews. Bummer.

An Infamous Army... A Novel of Love, War, Wellington and Waterloo by Georgette Heyer - I don't usually go for war stories but amazon had good reviews so it might slip under the radar.

The Princes of Ireland... The Dublin Saga by Edward Rutherford - Average reviews and I may have bitten off more than I can chew here. It's pretty hefty.

Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen - Someone recommended this to me, so I only read the description on the cover after I got home: "Gritty, sensual and charged with blah, blah..." There's the ugly "S" word. Pity I didn't read that before I bought it.

The Scarlet Pimpernel by Baroness Emmuska Orczy - The name of the author alone is enough to make me gulp but it's a classic so I'll give it a go.


Gone With The Wind by Margaret Mitchell - I don't know why I bought this, I could hardly sit through the three hour movie so what makes me think I can read 831 pages instead?

MM got three Chicken Soup For The (take your pick) Soul books which, in my opinion, are only good for bathroom reading.

Which leaves us with another husband's choice: The Darwin Awards, Evolution in Action by Wendy Northcutt. Commemorating those individuals who ensure the long-term survival of our species by removing themselves from the gene pool in a sublimely idiotic fashion. - I've already read a bit of this and true to it's title, it contains stories about idiots who accidentally commit suicide in klutzy and/or ridiculous ways. For instance: Three friends played Russian Roulette with an unexploded landmine. They each stomped on it then handed it to the next person. Result? No bits left to identify who was who. Then there's the one about six people who drowned trying to save a chicken who fell down a well. The chicken survived.
This book was not my choice and not very entertaining and let's face it, who wants to read about fools who die stupidly anyway? I mean, really?!


You may see a pattern with the books MM chose. Short stories work well for the four minutes between head hitting pillow and mouth entering snoreville. As for me, I am famous for my longevity. Just don't expect me to get up in the morning.

Do me a favour? Give me a call at about 3pm?

Thanks.





3 brilliant observations:

McCrazys said...

The Scarlet Pimpernel is GREAT! I would start with that one first. Sorry this isn't that clever of an observation.

CTR said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Cheryl said...

Other than reading Scarlet Pimpernel in High School, I haven't read any. Let me know how you like them.