Food, A Necessary Evil

Saturday, March 21, 2009 Posted In , Edit This 15 Comments »
It's been a busy week. As you know, I have an extremely limited diet so grocery shopping has gone from frustrating to nightmarish in one fell swoop. A nutritionist suggested that we only shop around the perimeter of the store, where all the raw food is and resist going down the aisles because that's where they keep the evil processed food. Try telling my kids they can't have cereal. It ain't happening.

So, I get my food... and awesome!, I even found organic ketchup!, then I run to the checkout. As I am unloading stuff, I notice... the ketchup is gone! What the heck?! Who would steal my ketchup? Granted, I haven't purchased it yet, so technically it isn't yet mine but come on... who would steal my ketchup? And when? How? Was there a ketchup addict stalking me? Did he/she follow me stealthily through the store, then, when I was contemplating the nice array of potatoes, did he leap forward, snatch the ketchup and run away stroking it ... "I got you my preciousssss...."

So, I'm at the checkout, ketchup-less, and the checkout lady yanks my food down the conveyor. All is fine until she starts bagging the bananas. I feel awkward. What should I do? Say something, or let it happen? I take a chance... "Um, 'scuse me? I don't want that. I want the other one... please." I swear, this woman acted like I'd just asked her if I could puke in her hands.

I haven't noticed, but when did they stop asking..."Plastic or paper?"

15 brilliant observations:

Unknown said...

They stopped asking it when all civility was sucked out of the interactions between human beings. Namely, the introduction of the reality show.

I'm sorry you lost your ketchup. The world is a cold, cruel place sometimes...

Hope your tummy appreciates everything you're doing for it.

Kristina P. said...

Well, since it's my mission to destroy the earth, I say bring on the plastic!!! ;)

Lissaloo said...

I had a nightmare flashback of watching the G guy on the hobbit movie....ehhhk... There are checkers at the grocery store I avoid because they are rude. Sorry :( Hope you find it again next time.

Momza said...

Whenever I happen upon a rude person, I just say to myself:
I'm glad I'm not related to them."

Sorry for your crummy trip to the grocery store!

rich and steph said...

Stumples onto your blog. You are hilarious!! You have me wondering if yhou ever found your ketchup:) Amd the checkout lady shout be made to take nice lessons! I just this week found out what an Expat Kiwi was. I love the term and love conversing with someone about a culture different than my little narrow one.

rachel said...

Is the change of diet helping you to feel better? I have felt great with mine. Though I haven't tried organic ketchup...it must have been a really healthy thief :)

Anonymous said...

Depends on where you live. In SF plastic bags are now illegal in grocery stores. I mean I guess you can bring your own but they can't give you any. Hope you resolved the ketchup crisis. My kids freak when there's no ketchup.

Gracey said...

I am sorry you lost your ketchup. :( As for rude cashiers, I swear that most times I go to the supermarket, the girls practically throw the food AT me after checking it! Like they're shooting me with the groceries or something!

Raymond Teodo a.k.a. was_bedeutet_jemanden said...

I hope you reported to the authorities that there is a ketchup thief running around....

;-)

Deb said...

For what it's worth, I hated the organic ketchup. Too, too sweet, and somehow tasted of cinnamon.

Camille said...

I hate shopping!! I don't know if I like the sound of organic ketchup....if it doesn't have some kind of chemicals in it, it don't feel right

Debbie said...

I've accidentally swapped carts with people before and then gone a few aisles before noticing! That is a weird feeling too.

Cheryl said...

It was probably my little Livia that stole your ketchup! She can't live without it, it goes on everything!!

Karen M. Peterson said...

Have you tried going to Trader Joe's? Basically everything they sell is organic or soy-based and they don't even offer plastic bags.

Sounds like your kind of store!

Tom said...

The line about asking to throw up in her hands was too funny. I'm a big fan of platic bags because that way I never have to buy garbage liners for the small cans.