Moonshine Central

Sunday, October 11, 2009 Edit This 18 Comments »
I've been making healthy drinks for the kids. I got some probiotic kefir grains, added them to sugar water and set the jar in a cupboard. It ferments into a healthy concoction full of probiotics. Perfect for bullet-proofing your immune system. Tastes like ginger ale when it's done. At least, that's what the box said.


The kids, surprisingly, don't hate it.


M has developed quite a taste for it. He drank about four cups of it yesterday which, if I'd known, I'd have reduced somewhat. You CAN have too much of a good thing.

Husband sees the glass..."Lemme try that."
Takes a swig. All of a sudden he clutches his throat and chokes, "What is IN this stuff?"

"Whaddya mean?" I ask and grab the glass. Sniff.
"Smells okay to me."
So I try a sip and WHAM! Molten lava flamed down my throat! I felt like I'd just swallowed battery acid!

What the heck?
MM is looking at me like I just grew a third horn, (LDS joke, sorry) so I hot footed it out of there and grabbed my laptop to google a few kefir questions....


"If you leave your kefir to ferment for two days you will end up with a mix of about 2% alcohol. The longer you leave it, the higher the alcohol content..."

ALCOHOL?!!!

The kefir sat in the cupboard for SIX days!
No wonder M liked it! He was DRUNK!


MM just shook his head and walked out of the room muttering something about spousal abuse...

But what I really want to know is...

Can you go to he(( for giving your children hooch?


18 brilliant observations:

Cluttered Brain said...

LOL! Probably not! That is one strong drink!!! Geez...Glad you cold google it and find out more about it. I LOVE the computer!

Kristina P. said...

Yeah, I figured that would happen. It sounds potent!!

Momza said...

I wonder how many moms are making this stuff right now with the intent of snockering up their kids in about 4 days?
Certainly not me. Un unh.

Elisa said...

You most definitely have my vote for Mother of the year!

Who knew?!!

Unknown said...

Oh, that is too funny! See? I keep telling people that healthy stuff will kill you, but no one heeds my warnings.

And now, while MY children are merely addicted to Diet Coke and Mountain Dew, YOURS are wine bibbers.

I hope everyone reading this has learned a valuable lesson.

honeypiehorse said...

Hilarious. Ralf once grabbed a glass we'd been using to give the cat water that I had finally put on the kitchen counter to clean and swigged it down. The gagging that followed was spectacular. No pleasant buzz, unfortunately.

Camille said...

Wow wow wow! That's really funny! I'm going to have to try some kefir, you know, to boost my immunity.

Barbaloot said...

Sounds like an honest mistake?

Welcome to the Garden of Egan said...

No, but you can probably go to helk for making them drink probiotic crap........GAG! What in the world? I think those poor children of your should come to live with me so they can eat candy and drink pop!

Sherrie said...

OMG I am ROFLMAO. That is way to funny! Can I have some? j/k Who would have ever thought it would turn into something like that. I am sure all will be forgiven! :)

Cheryl said...

I can't stop laughing!!

Tammy said...

Tooo Funny!!! Yeah.... my IMMUNITY needs boosting too. What was that recipe again....

Lissaloo said...

lol, that is too funny. We Mom's can't win for trying can we :)

rachel said...

AWESOME!! Yes, definitely too much of a "good" thing :)

Tricia said...

I'm afraid I'm going to have to tell your Bishop about this...he probably wants some, too. (Because of the probiotics, of course.)

RoeH said...

I want that recipe! :)

Fiauna said...

Too, too funny! You'd better watch M. It seems he likes the hooch. ; )

Loralee and the gang... said...

That's so funny! My grandparents made batch after batch of grape juice, which they stored in their basement for who knows how long, and then when they moved to be closer to my parents (when I was still in grade school), they gave them a bunch of the stuff. Since my parents had never tasted wine or anything close to it, they had no clue that it was slightly FERMENTED! We all enjoyed it for a little while, several months maybe, until they happened to share it with a couple of their less naive friends. Whooops!
:~D