Here's The Skinny...

Thursday, November 12, 2009 Edit This 19 Comments »
Look closely at these images. Yes, it's the same girl in both pics.  This is Filippa Hamilton, a Ralph Lauren model.  What happened to her between pic 1 and pic 2?  Did she develop an accelerated case of anorexia or contract a flesh wasting disease?  What ailment is it that makes her head bigger than her pelvis?





Filippa was the victim of Ralph Laurens overzealous Photoshop staff.  They were given a mandate to make Filippa look like a cardboard cutout because THAT is the image they want to portray.  Because THAT is what they think sells their product.

To make matters worse, RL then FIRED Filippa for being... wait for it.... TOO FAT.

If that 120 pound, five foot ten 'twig' is FAT, then there's no hope for me... I am gargantuan by comparison.  I have worn RL in the past but who could possibly fit THOSE clothes?

RL did suffer a bit from the media backlash.  They issued statements and withdrew the picture but not before I saw it.

As a result they have officially joined my "Companies in Cahoots With the Devil" list.  I'm throwing out all of my RL products.  Except my decorative throw blanket, I like that.  And my cotton sheet and pillowcase sets... they were expensive... and my plaid sweater, it's really warm... or my jacket... it goes nicely with my cords... and my jeans... they fit so well, but everything else... IS GOING!

19 brilliant observations:

Camille said...

I just don't understand why RL would even think the second picture would even be remotely attractive, and something to strive for? Cuh-razy.

Kristina P. said...

They have gotten a lot of negative press over this.

They said that they weren't supposed to be released, and it was an accident, but then they had ANOTHER picture mishap the following week.

LisAway said...

Oh, you've got such resolve! :) I'm throwing out all MY RL stuff, too! Which will be easy. Because I don't have any. But if I DID? Oh, it would be out of here SO fast.

Barbaloot said...

That picture really is horrid. I mean, they didn't even TRY to make it look realistic!

Lissaloo said...

Good call, what an awful picture AND story, poor girl.

Momza said...

Well RL has been roasted for this...and I was glad to hear of it!
In this day of reality TV...it's about time magazines got real too!

Unknown said...

No one is asking the REAL question here: Do those Photoshop guys do family Christmas pictures?

And since I don't own any Ralph Lauren stuff either, I'm going to scratch all images of my Uncle Ralph out of the family albums, and my niece Lauren is no longer welcome in this house.

It is HIGH TIME I took a stand. This feels right.

rachel said...

She had to have hated it when she saw it...it looks like all her internal organs were removed!!

Sherrie said...

That 2nd picture is actaully very gross. She is beautiful and looks great just like she is. Its really too bad they fired her. If she is fat than I am a HIPPO!!

Welcome to the Garden of Egan said...

I was going to say that she looked like me and they copied my body, but then my nose grew so fast that it broke my monitor!
Ya, that's reallly sick!

Tricia said...

I need to learn how to use photoshop...

wendy said...

Photo 1 looks so much better.
What's so cool about being THIN....I think I will start a Fat is Phat campaign.
or Rolls Rock
or Blubber is Better..........you get where I am going with this eh.

Since being remarried, living a honeymoon life, retired and being spoiled ------I think I have just involuntarily become the surrogate mother for a whale.

Glad you are throwing out all your RL stuff (tee.hee)
I don't own any
being a surrogate mother and all

Loralee and the gang... said...

She's too skinny in the First photo. And the second one is just creepy! Glad to hear you are throwing out all RL stuff, except for everything that you just can't live without. ha!
:~D

Missy said...

It is just so sad! Why do we as a society think this is ok?

Karen M. Peterson said...

I saw this picture a couple of weeks ago and it just irritated me to no end.

She looks absolutely beautiful in the first photo. I can't understand how anyone could have greenlighted the second picture. It looks worse than ridiculous. Instead of firing the model, they should have fired the photo editors.

Mikey said...

I'm a 5 ft 10 girl. I weigh 153. I feel maybe 5 lbs over. I've been 115 at one point (ha, years ago now) and felt weak. I honestly don't feel good unless I'm at 140-155. Anything over I feel heavy, anything less and I feel weak.
I say do what feels good for you personally, no matter what your height. If YOU feel good, then that's all you need.

Mikey said...

PS - Was that photoshop artist on crack or what?

annie valentine said...

So, are those like a size 1/8? And how do I get my waist to look like that in the family Christmas card? They should really open a Christmas Picture Editing studio.

Merrianne said...

i remember seeing this on the news or the today show or something... it is CRAZY!!!!!!!!!!